Monday, August 12, 2013

Alaska's Brooks Falls: Traveling 3,600 miles searching for "The Shot".


Photographers go to Brooks Falls in July for the shot”.     The iconic Brooks Falls picture, "Catch of the Day", that made Tom Mangelson famous.  It’s been plastered all over the world in wildlife magazines, photography galleries and the internet.  National Geographic has it as one of the top wildlife shots; that picture of a bear on top of the falls starting to chomp down on a salmon that seems to be jumping straight into his mouth.  We all want that shot!  We all think we can get that shot, but how easy is it?

The first day that my family arrived, we were in absolute awe of the place, clicking at everything that moved, bears, fish, birds, even bugs. 




 Mostly though, it was the about the bears;

 Baby bears,


 Loving bears



 Diving bears,
Yawning bears,
 Fishing bears,
Standing bears,
 and Scratching bears. 
Didn’t matter, if it was a bear we took pictures until my lone battery ran out, 30 minutes before the platform closed at 10 PM. 

The next day, armed with fresh memory cards and two batteries, we hit the platform early in the morning.  Can you believe it, the sun was too bright!  We had gorgeous weather and the sun made the lighting too harsh for great shots.  I hadn’t focused on getting that infamous shot, so I was determined in the afternoon to only focus on “the shot”. 
We spent the morning at the falls, watching the bears catch salmon, spotting  a juvenile Bald Eagle and the returning cubs.
 

 
We walked back to the lodge for a snack and I opted for a late lunch.  That way I could skip dinner and stay at the falls to make a full day of it.  The Park Service has strict rules, no snacking in the park!  To make sure that people aren’t thought of as a food source, you are not allowed to carry anything in your pack; no food  (no M & Ms!) or flavored beverages (no diet coke!), just yucky water. 

Luckily its Crissy and Tony behind me and not a bear.
So I wouldn’t be walking alone, Tony and Crissy walked with me to the falls, stayed for a couple hours and then walked back for dinner.  I was living on adrenaline; who needs food!  I stood on the viewing platform for 6 1/2 hours straight, determined to focus my attention on getting that one perfect shot.  My finger never strayed from the button, even when I got my picture taken. 
  I had my camera and lens locked on the target, the lone bear on top of the falls. 

 I was bound and determined to aim only there until I had that perfect picture.  I visualized it many times, however, it wasn’t quite as easy as I dreamed it would be. 
A catch in her mouth and a swat of her paw to keep it there.
 My eye was steady on the target, but then a Bald Eagle flew in and was wreaking havoc in the river, scaring off the seagulls and trying to grab loose scraps of fish.  Forget the main target, get the eagle! 

 I swing my camera and click away at the eagle.

  He moves from the tree.    Incoming!     He starts coming right at me.
Oops, the bear finally got a fish, while I was catching the eagle in flight!  Missed it!

Two bears took turns reigning over the falls.  The mother with the three spring cubs and another large male bear took turns fishing at that spot.  For some reason the salmon stopped jumping for about 2-3 hours during the middle of the afternoon.  They are much more cognizant where the bears are than I gave them credit.  With the sun high in the sky, I guess they saw the bear on the falls and waited until it moved before jumping. 

Regardless, I religiously kept my focus on the bear at the top of the falls.  The bear didn’t give up, so neither would I.  Fish occasionally jumped and she would miss the catch.


  Or she would watch them jump by. 

 Or she would cradle the catch with  her feet. 

 What is she doing?  Is she daydreaming? 
Open your mouth, its right there!!!!

One of my favorites.  Bear and salmon- nose to nose!
I heard while we were at the lodge she caught four fish in less than an hour, she didn’t do so well in the afternoon.   Keeping the camera tightly focused on the bear, I kept constantly refocusing, just to make sure if a salmon started jumping, I would be ready. 
Oh the dilemma, which one do I pick?
An hour later, I was still there with my finger poised on the capture button when tempers flare.  Fight!  I swing the camera again, I can take just a couple pictures of teeth and claws, I won't miss anything. 

Oops, wrong again, she catches another fish! 
Kicking myself, I focus again, but then the sow with the cubs returned.  They were so cute, forget the sailing fish, shoot the cubs! 



Oops, another fish bites the dust and I missed it. 


 

And so I continued in this matter for hours, taking pictures of either the fish sailing by the bear or the bear’s near misses,  all the while getting distracted by other sights, missing most of the activity leading up to the catches that had other people clicking away. 


I began to question myself, my skills and equipment.  Not fast enough on the gun.  Getting older, my reflexes must be slow.  My camera must not be fast enough, my lens too slow.  Shortly after 5 1/2 hours, my right hand and arm went into spasms, holding my hand in the same position for hours had taken its toll.  Trying to get my arm to relax, I missed another catch.  I can’t win!



 Bears are very patient.  They spent hours fishing and sometimes I think they get a little bored too.  Or is it that they think if they position themselves with their mouths open, the fish will jump right in?


I thought at first that it was all me, but after reviewing my pictures it became apparent, both the bear and I had limitations to our high expectations.  Neither of us were always prepared for that random salmon to unexpectedly pop out through the mist and most jumps would not result in that perfect catch. 
 However, I did get a few memorable shots where she was going for the grab.

Going for the grab before she chomps down and she's looking my way!



So Close!
And a lot more that were just out of reach.  Unfortunately she didn't get the memo, Look my way when fishing!


 


  
 All and all, I took 7,500 pictures at Brooks Falls and got a few excellent ones.  I know the bears, my equipment and I have limitations and I will just have to live with that.  No matter how good you are or how good your equipment,  you need a luck too.  And while I may have not gotten the perfect Brooks Falls iconic picture, well, there’s always next time! 

or Photoshop!


No comments:

Post a Comment